Top Safety Tips For Christmas
Be careful over Christmas, here are some top tips to stay safe over the festive holiday
- Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly and only remove batteries when replacing them.
- Most fires start in the kitchen. Avoid leaving a cooker unattended. Avoid cooking when under the influence of alcohol.
- Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency
- Make sure cigarettes are put out properly.
- Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach. Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Take care around open fireplaces as clothes may catch fire.
- Take time to check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas as they are at greater risk from fire.
- Store fireworks safely. Never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.