This 14 hour YMHFA (Wales) course teaches adults how to provide Mental Health First Aid to young people.
Mental illnesses often start in adolescence or early adulthood and it is important to detect problems early to ensure the young person is properly treated and supported. The YMHFA (Wales) course teaches adults who have frequent contact with adolescents, such as parents, guardians, school staff, sport coaches and youth workers, how to assist adolescents who are developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
This course can also be run virtually via Zoom or Teams
Contact the office for more information
Want us to bring the training to you?
If we don’t have dates suitable for you at our training centre then we can bring the training to your workplace.
Contact us on 02920 576883 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Objectives & Learning Outcomes
This course is designed to meet this requirement by providing you with a clear understanding of the role of the school mental health lead. This step-by-step course will take you through essential skills needed to develop a multidisciplinary, whole systems approach through effective practice procedures to ensure the improvement of mental health and wellbeing in your school.
COURSE CONTENT & AIMS:
The YMHFA course teaches adults how to assist adolescents who are developing any of the following mental health problems, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
Developing mental health problems including:
Substance use problems
Mental health crises:
Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
Severe psychotic states
Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- To raise awareness and understanding of mental health problems in young people
- To build confidence to help a young person experiencing a problem
- To preserve life where a young person may be a risk to themselves or others
- To provide help on a ‘First Aid’ basis
- To reduce the effect of a mental health problem and prevent the problem escalating
- To encourage early intervention and speedier recoveries
- To provide comfort to a young person experiencing mental distress
- To know where to refer the young person to for the right on-going help
It is designed to be interactive and participants are encouraged (if they wish) to share views and experiences. Whist sharing experiences can benefit the training experience participants must be aware that Mental Health First Aid is designed to help participants support others and is not intended as a therapy session for the participant. This is for the comfort for all participants.
Please note that due to the sensitive topics discussed within the training it is recommended that participants have a level of well-being before attending.
This YMHFA (Wales) course is a national training programme for Wales which is licensed and developed by Training in Mind
Key Facts – Face to Face Training
- Duration: 2 Days
- Individual Price: £165.00+VAT
- Group Price (up to 12): £1,450+VAT
- Assessment Method: Tutor Observation
- Candidates will also receive a Youth Mental Health First Aid Manual which they can take them.
- Certificate will last for 3 years.
2 Days – These will be 3 hour sessions delivered via Teams or Zoom one week apart
Please note that there is pre work to complete before the course. You will need to provide us with your email address 2 weeks prior to the course date so that a link to this can be sent.
Certificate will last for 3 years